Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Ri hits the trails!

Happy Riley pictures make EVERYONE all warm and fuzzy inside. She's so cute! Well, as you all probably know, I've been wanting to try to take Ri out on a short trail ride now that she's started being more calm and trusting. (Groundwork with her usually doesn't end up getting posted here, I don't know why.) So I tried, and this is how it went.


It was abnormally warm so I went out to the barn to try to ride the furry brat. She trotted up to me and let me catch her with absolutely no issues, which made me happy. We walked back to the barn and took our time grooming and tacking up, especially because Pigeon kept trying to leave the field (Ray stayed by the gate) and Riley didn't want her to go. Eventually I got on and struggled to get her going down the driveway. If she took a step, I would stop asking her to go forward and would pet her and vocally praise her until she stopped again. After 5 minutes or so, she was plodding along happily, not even asking to stop and eat. 


I was really proud that she didn't try to spook at anything the entire time we were out! She still occasionally played with the bit a little, especially the one time she stopped to try to eat, but it wasn't very bad at all! 


We went up to Callie's house and I got off to lead her around instead of riding. Setting her up for success, I suppose. There were dogs barking, goats going ballistic in the barn, a cow, and like 9 horses and a donkey nearby and I was asking her to ignore it all. And she did! She walked over white ground poles when I asked and stayed pretty calm the entire time! 

She was just as good heading home, and somewhat followed me into the barn to get a treat before going to graze in some clover for a while. She actually didn't want to leave me when I put her back in with Ray and Pigeon! We had a friend come out the other day and all 3 horses willingly walked up to her and let her pet and cuddle with them! Ray went right back to my side after greeting her and snuggled with me, the bloody red mare greeted her a few times but kept walking off to graze, and Ri was walking between us to alternate who was giving her attention. I'm so proud that they're making progress with being social!



No comments:

Post a Comment